Cocoa Almond Granola
December 10, 2012 § Leave a comment
So, I’m not totally into the idea of giving people baked goods for the holidays. This make come as a shock since I feel like everyone in the internet-world really is. But honestly, I think because other people do like to most people are going to end up with tons of cookies and Ferrere Rocher Christmas trees. I don’t necessarily feel like contributing to that.
This recipe may have changed that for me. I immediately started coming up with ways I could package this delicious cocoa almond granola to make it look festive and the cute cards I would write to people.
It’s a delicious crunchy, slightly sweet combination that is perfect as breakfast, midmorning snack or late at night while watching too many Jimmy Fallon clips on YouTube.
Cocoa Almond Granola
from the Joy the Baker cookbook
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened, but either would work)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350* F. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper (or two smaller sheets).
2) Toss together all of the dry ingredients, including oats, almonds, coconut, cinnamon, cocoa powder and salt.
3) In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, honey, vegetable oil, butter. Stir to combine until sugar dissolves and mixture just begins to bubble. This takes about 5 minutes over medium heat. Once mixture is ready, take off heat and stir in vanilla.
4) Pour warm mixture into oat mixture and combine well with wooden spoon.
5) Dump mixture onto baking sheet(s), smooth until even and put into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring several times while baking. Make sure you bring the goodness on the edges into the center or it’ll get too crispy. It’s done when fragrant and toasted on the edges.
6) Let it cool completely. Store in air tight container for up to a week (if it lasts!) Enjoy!