Vegan Date Bars
December 14, 2012 § 1 Comment
Also there are only 6 ingredients. The original recipe had 5 but I didn’t have enough almonds so it’s a whole 6 ingredients. This recipe is shaping up to be amazing. How could it get better? But really, the best best part about bar this is the crust. You wouldn’t even know it’s vegan. It tastes so delicious and is salty which perfectly balances the the sweetness of the dates. By the way, this is adapted from Oh She Glows.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 30-35 Medjool dates (about 2.5 cups)
- 3/4 cup water
- Roughly chop the dates. In a food processor combine the oats, almonds, pecans and salt until it turns into a fine crumble. Add the 10 dates until combined. Melt the oil in microwave and put that in the food processor too. This mixture should be sticky. Save about one cup of this mixture until the end.
- Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray. Dump the crust mixture and spread into the bottom of a pan. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom.
- Clean out the food processor. Bring the 3/4 cup water to a boil in the microwave and put the rest of the dates into the boiling water. Let soak for a 5-10 minutes.
- Dump water and dates into food processor and pulse until a paste forms. Scrape down the sides as often as you need to. Now, spread paste over the crust evenly. Finally, sprinkle the part of the crust mixture you saved over the top.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour up to overnight. Serve with a big glass of almond or soy milk or regular milk. Enjoy!