Quinoa Caprese Bake
October 9, 2013 § Leave a comment
I’m just going to cut to the chase. This is delicious. Creamy, tomatoey, filling, tasty. Great right out of the oven or reheated for leftovers. Get on it. Start with your quinoa. Cook it just like the package tells you too. I had red quinoa in my pantry but you can use whatever variety you feel like. Bonus, it’s gluten free and vegetarian!
Lets get the good stuff too. I had some leftover marinara sauce in the freezer, mozzarella, parmesan and CREAM. While your quinoa is cooking you can prep your ingredients and make the sauce. My favorite part of this is the sauce after you mix in the cream, cheese and flavorings. It is amazing in a straight-off-a-spoon way. Sometimes I forget how good cream makes things! I’m tempted to make just the sauce to use with regular pasta or chicken. Once you’ve got that you mix (almost) everything together, pour it in a pan, top with more cheese and tomatoes. Just another 20 minutes in the oven and resting and you’ve got a great meal.
Quinoa Caprese Bake
from Half Baked Harvest
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup favorite marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large bunch basil, torn into pieces
1) Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 pan. Prep your ingredients. Half of the mozzarella can be shredded or torn into small pieces; the other half sliced into rounds or shredded (depending on if using fresh or not).
2) In a large saucepan, heat tomato sauce and tomato paste just until warm. Turn off heat, stir in cream, half of the mozzarella (the shredded portion), parmesan cheese, S&P. Once combined, stir in quinoa. Finally, fold in basil and most of the tomatoes, reserving a few for the top.
3) Pour quinoa mix into the greased pan. Top with mozzarella rounds (or the last half of shredded cheese) and the last of the tomatoes. Bake 10-15 minutes, then broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven, top with fresh basil. Let sit for 5 minutes then enjoy!