January 18, 2013 § 1 Comment
Sometimes I just want to cut to the chase, this is a good soup recipe. I may be slightly obsessed with soup this winter. Something about cold, rainy days makes a big bowl of deliciousness that much more amazing.
This one is italian, savory and so filling. It’s vegetarian but you get some protein with the garbanzo beans. And if you like a little more kick feel free to add more red pepper flakes.
Italian Garbanzo Bean Soup
from Bella Sun Sun-dried tomato can
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 11.5 oz can tomato juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 can garbanzo beans (16 oz)
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 2-4 cups water
- salt and pepper
1) Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
2) In pot for soup, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes and sugar and saute for a few minutes.
3) Next stir in tomato juice, balsamic vinegar, water, sun dried tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Bring these to a boil. Once at a rolling boil, reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Now, optional step, you can puree half of the mixture to thicken it or leave this consistency depending on your preference.
4) When you’re ready, add the pasta and spinach to the pot. Keep it there until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!